A daughter’s message to her father

Apr 29, 2021 | Life, Live, Love, Only Berlin

My father’s messages to his daughter

My father died last Monday, April 26, due to sepsis and pneumonia as complications of COVID-19. I wasn’t able to talk or even see him in person for years. That made me sad, and I regretted the time I’ve wasted.

Maybe I had such high hopes. I told myself that I would visit him after his confinement from the hospital. But that never happened. He didn’t make it.

This painful experience made me realize how vital giving time is to a family member or loved one.

Be part of the family

All those years, my father tried to keep his family together. Though I am not part of his present family, that didn’t stop him from constantly bombarding me with invitations about family reunions and birthday celebrations. Many a time, I turned down those invitations. I opted to keep my peace and distance. It is only now that I have realized those invitations were my chance to know more about him and his family because I am part of that family. And that he cared; he was always there for me.

Know more about you

I never felt my father using his authority to make me think he was superior to me. He always created a friendly space between us, encouraged me to speak up without hesitation, and listened to me without judgment. Sadly, though, I never took advantage of his offerings. I dismissed them.

Teach important life lessons

From the few talks we had, my father would always share a piece of his life as a friend, father, or employee. He may tell those stories in a light and funny way, but they were full of learnings about integrity, honesty, and sincerity, among other virtues. Such were stories that speak about valuable lessons through various events in life. I may not admit it, but I know a part of who I am now is because of those valuable stories.

Show affection and appreciation

In his most loud and even silent way, he never failed to communicate that he appreciated me. He would end our conversation with, “I love you, baby.” And from those reunions I rarely attended, I now remember how his hugs were so tight, communicating that he indeed value me.

I never heard myself telling him I love you back. I didn’t also give him warm hugs. Now, I can’t hug him anymore.

Those were a few of my regrets. My if onlys.

Jollibee Family Thanksgiving Month

Then Jollibee recently launched its Jollibee Family Thanksgiving Month. The campaign aims to start a new tradition to urge everyone to openly and actively express their gratitude towards their family and loved ones. Leading the campaign is the country’s number one fast-food chain’s long-time endorser Anne Curtis. Now, with a family of her own, Anne shared with the media attendees how grateful she is for her family’s support and love throughout the years.

During the online event launch, shared was a short yet meaningful video reminding everyone to be grateful for the gift of family and go the extra mile to express gratitude more often, starting with the Family Thanksgiving Month.

#IDontSayThisEveryDayBut

To cap off the event, Anne led the guests in saying their simple thank you to loved ones via the #IDontSayThisEveryDayBut activity. This online movement has been trending on Instagram, with Jollibee endorsers, influencers, and netizens expressing their gratitude to their families. With its virality on Instagram, netizens took the initiative to bring the #IDontSayThisEveryDayButMovement on Facebook and Twitter as well, resulting in thousands of posts in a matter of days.

And that led me to write my #IDontSayThisEveryDayBut letter to my father. I may be too late to give my note to him, but I know the angels from heaven could send my message across.

The daughter’s message to her father

So please, to those who still have time, appreciate your family. Watch out for the Jollibee’s Family Thanksgiving Video launch this coming May 1 on Jollibee’s Facebook page and YouTube channel.

28 Comments

1. Antoniette Sanchez David

Amg sweet ng message mo momi sa iyong ama ang sarap basahin dahil puno ng pagmamahal alan ko yung pakiramdam na ganto hindi man sa ama ko pero sa nag iisa ina sa puso ko kung papalarin nga ako makasama sya kahit sa panaginip sasabihin konsa kanya yung salitang mahal na hindi ko nasabi sa kanya nung buhay pa sya😭😭😭

• momiberlin

tingin mo kung sasabihin nating mahal natin sila, maririnig pa rin nila.

2. Karen Joy Daban

Hindi ko alam momi berlin kung paano ko pababalikin sa mga mata ko ung luha ko habang binabasa ko to..Alam ko di din kami okay ng Papa ko maybe this is the right time na kausapin ko din sya..I was scared but I think when it happens mas magiging Magaan ang lahat..Hugs to you mommy…Naiiyak talaga

• momiberlin

mas magiging magaan ang lahat talaga kapag sinubukan natin magpakumbaba at lumapit

3. Erin Palapag

Thank you for sharing this momi. My condolences again. We really do need to appreciate and show our love to our family habang may time pa.

• momiberlin

habang may time pa tlaaga. kaso di natin minsan yan nakikita. laging nasa huli ang lahat.

4. ellaineparame

Namimiss ko na din sobra ang pamilya ko sa Mindanao😢 Super hirap mag isa walang kausap,iba padin pag kasama ang buong pamilya .Thank You JOLLIBEE for making this happen..♥️

5. ellaineparame

Hugs Mommy,Ur dad is in the safe place na ,Makikita na din nia mga mahal ko sa buhay doon..Pahalagahan at mahalin natin ang ating family.Subrang namimiss ko na din mga pamilya ko..Thanks Jollibee for.making this possible ♥️

• momiberlin

yes, he is a safe and happy place. and I agree sa pahalagahan natin and mga naiwan pa rito.

6. Cecile Bejer-De Castro

Hugs mommy 💓

Sobrang nalulungkot din ako sa nangyari, I cried when I heard.😢 And now, reading your blog made me tear up again…maybe because I know the feeling of losing a parent with still some regrets. I’m sad too because somehow, because of you, I got to peek a little at your dad’s life and know him thru you. Thank you for that chance…for trusting.

I told you before and I will keep you telling this…I know that HE KNOWS how you care and love him too.💕

Rest in peace Daddy Angel 🙏

7. Janice Medina

Nakakalungkot talaga pag may mga ganitong pangyayari, kaya madami din talaga tinuro ang pandemic na ito sakin / satin.. Wag sayangin ang oras na kasama pa natin cla (mga loved ones natin).. Condolences momsh…

8. Yanpaladquisol

Condolences Mommy. ❤️

Naiyak ako. Kaya dapat sulitin natin ang oras na kasama Ang mga Mahal sa buhay… Namimiss ko na pamilya ko sobra Ang layo Kasi nila Kaya hirap maka bisita

9. Maricel Alam

A very heart warming message momi Berlin…Indeed life is too short and we never know if hanggang kelan tayo dito sa mundo.Kaya habang my time pa tayo i cherished na natin ang bawat segundo na kasama natin ang ating mga loved ones.Let us forget and forgive.

10. Maricel Alam

Condolence po mommy❤

11. MELANIE EDJOURIAN

I’m so sorry for your loss. It must have been hard not to be able to see him before he died. This highlights how short life is and how we need to live it and make the most of opportunities.

12. Mosaic Murals

The message made me very emotional, this is so hard!!! I am so sorry for your loss but you are resilient…

13. Laura @ Kidlette

My sincere condolences. So very sorry for your loss, but sharing your experience is a great lesson for others to really value the time we have with our loved ones. Tomorrow is never guaranteed, unfortunately.

14. Laura @ Kidlette

My sincere condolences. I’m so sorry for your loss. This pandemic has taken far too many. Your sharing of your experience is an important lesson to the rest of us that we must value the time we have with our loved ones.

15. Laura @ Kidlette

So very sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences. Sharing your experience is a lesson to us all to value each day we have with our loved ones.

16. Lisa

I’m so sorry for your lost. I’m also a daddy’s girl, and I speak to him all the time. This was a touching tribute.

17. Yeah Lifestyle

So sorry for your loss, I am sure by sharing your feelings, you are somehow healing and moving on and know that he loved you very much. This is a beautiful tribute.

18. Rosey

19. Rosey

It’s hard to lose someone so important to our lives. I thought I was prepared for my mom’s passing, since we were with her in her home those last 7 weeks to take care of her, but it hit me so so hard when she did pass. Like you said, the what-ifs are tough. But I know she loved me, and I know she knew I loved her too. I am very sorry for your loss..

20. Laura @ Kidlette

So sorry for your loss. But you sharing your experience is a great lesson to others. We must value each day with our loved ones as tomorrow’s never guaranteed. Peace.

21. Eloise

sorry to hear of your dads’ passing, it’s never easy to say goodbye here on earth! Heaven is a beautiful place and he will always be with you in spirit.
    I think it’s awesome that you’ve learned so many lessons from him and your relationship you had with him, as well as how you remember him in a good light.
    Take care!

22. Owen ponce

Closest to me is my father ,I call him Tata,,what you’ve done is truly heartfelt ,never been forgotten , their legacy to us

23. Cheng Broquiza

I’m sorry Momi. My Deepest condolences po khit late na. Naiyak ako while reading this all. Grabe. Sobrang sakit sa puso. Ang daming mkukuhang lesson po Dito. N habang nanjan. Let’s give our best.always say I love you. Always natin iparamdam sakanila na they’re special. Na Mahal na mahl natin sila. Forget about the past . Forgive and forget. Kahit mahirap pilitin ntin. KASi kapag tayo nagpatawad dun natin nararamdamn Ang kapyapaan ng ating puso at isip. Na iniisip ntin nung una mahirap pero Kya pala natin. Hugs❤️

24. Cheng Broquiza

Nag comment po ako Dito June 16 4pm. Nitong June 16 11pm namaty Ang tito ko. My second Father. Ung Tito ko n npkabait saming magkakapatid. Nakakiyak sobra po. Ang sakit s dibdib. Diman lng ako makauwi. Dahil sa sitwasyon at may baby pa ako.yung gustong gusto ko po mkita Ang Tito ko kahit sa huling pagkakataon pero paano? Hangang iyak nlang. Habang nag tatype ako nito naiiyak po ako. Sobrang sakit na mawalan ng Mahal sa Buhay. Kung pwd lang ibalik Ang araw at oras. Para bumawi ako. Last kita namin ng tito ko 2019. Pati mga anak ko tinatanong ako Kung bakit daw mamatay Lolo Nila nagpray nman daw sila. Ang sakit sobra. Sobrang sakit😭😭😭😭😭

Submit a Comment