The fun side of having a big family is that you somehow master how to make ends meet. We have shared one of our petsa de Peligro dishes last October. Now, we would like to share with you again another dish I often serve to my boys.
Perhaps every homemaker could relate how stressful it can be to think of `what to serve for the next breakfast, lunch or dinner. This holds true especially when you have picky eaters and they just hate it when you repeat viands. The same stress when you just don’t feel working in the kitchen and yet you need to produce food for your school kids.
Well, Lumpiang Shanghai has saved me a lot in many emergency situations.
Once a week, I make it a point to make as many raw rolls in advance. I will just keep them in the chiller and fry a few pieces when I can’t think of anything to cook. There is no need to thaw the lumpia. I can deep-fry it right away. That what makes it such a hassle-free food to prepare.
Lumpiang Shanghai or commonly called spring roll, remains to be one of my boys’ all-time favorite Filipino dish. I often use ground pork but sometimes, I also use chicken and beef. Shrimp is also a nice alternative to pork or may be added completely to give the dish an additional flavor. And just recently, I tried one of the highly recommended oily fish for a healthy diet. We need to support husband’s quest for a healthier him. For our spring rolls, we used mackerel.
I have read that the flesh of mackerel spoils quickly and can cause food poisoning. So for our Mackerel spring rolls, I just prepared and cooked enough for lunch. And should they ask for more, I can always prepare again as Lumpiang Shanghai is one of the easiest to prepare and cook.
Mackerel Spring Rolls Ingredients
- 2 big cans Unipak Mackerel
- ½ cup green onions (finely chopped)
- 1 cup carrots (finely chopped)
- 1 cup singkamas (finely chopped, optional)
- 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 50 pieces Spring roll wrapper
- 1 cup cooking oil
Mackerel Spring Rolls Cooking Instruction
- Heat pan. Saute onion. Add all the ingredients: carrots, singkamas, green onions, garlic powder, and two pieces of raw egg. Drain mackerel and include in the pan. Add salt and pepper according to taste. Mix well and crash mackerel to tiny pieces.
- Let it cool for a few minutes. Prepare the lumpia wrapper
- Place about 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons of mackerel mixture in a lumpia wrapper and fold carefully.
- Turn on the heat and pour the cooking oil in a small saucepan. Set heat to low or medium level and deep-fry the lumpia for seven to ten minutes.
- Take out the lumpia from the deep-fryer and place in a strainer to let the excess oil drip. You may also use a kitchen paper towel.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Share and enjoy!
Uni-Pak Mackerel Giveaway
From the many canned mackerel brands, we only prefer Uni-Pak. The makers of Uni-Pak Mackerel, SLORD Development Corporation, aims not only to produce but to deliver export quality standards. This means that they provide the best quality canned seafood and vegetable product in our country. Plus their products are affordable kaya basta Mackerel, dapat tatak Uni-Pak!
Uni-Pak wants you to have your share of #tatakunipak and experience for yourself its high-quality product. Uni-Pak is sponsoring a giveaway and it is open to all Momi Berlin Philippine readers. The giveaway will run from today, January 23, to end of this month. One winner will be chosen via random.org. We will announce the winner on February 1 through Momi Berlin Facebook page. The winner will also get a notification through a Facebook message on the same day.
Join now and cook your own Uni-Pak mackerel dish. Or perhaps, you would want to try Momi Berlin’s Mackerel spring rolls.
- If spring rolls have saved me a lot in many emergency situations, what is your go-to dish in similar settings? Just comment below and don’t forget to include your FB name and email address.
- Go back to the original FB Unipak giveaway post and answer the same question (what is your favorite emergency dish) and tag two friends. Link here.
- You may want to share this, too, and invite more friends to join.
Good luck and thank you.
Devoted. Compassionate, Instinctive. Berlin loves to write personal narratives, thrilling discoveries, and mommy tips that make daily living the happiest. She shares the small house with her husband and their five boys.