MOMI TIPS| How to achieve financial freedom?

Nov 18, 2016 | Live, Only Berlin

The baby was sleeping.  I got up and scanned our bookshelf.  I looked for something nice to read.  I grabbed this two-year-old book and started reading it again.  Then I remembered a blog I posted years ago.  It was about FINANCIAL FREEDOM.   And I would like to share with you this blog post and hope you learn something from it.

Go for Financial Freedom

March 12, 2014

The book I am reading says to achieve financial freedom, one must focus on FREEDOM first.  One must make it a goal, though it may be his biggest challenge as well.

IMG_20140307_222407[1]

Go for financial freedom

And to tackle that biggest challenge, it might help if one always reminds himself of his goal — freedom.  A good and fitting example the authors mentioned is one’s habit of drinking daily lattes.  After each cup,  the drinker uses treadmill believing he could burn all the calories he gained.  This example only tells us that we never allow ourselves to create the lifestyle we want.  Being on treadmills is the “what DO I HAVE TO DO.”  With freedom, it means getting up in the morning and saying, “what would I LIKE TO DO today” and not “what do I have to do.”

What do I like to do today?

So what would I like to do today?  I want no burden.  No debts.  No worries about how I would pay my credit card because I again swiped my card when I saw that lovely black dress.

With freedom as my goal, I then tried not to use my credit card for a month.  I paid hard cash instead for my purchases.  Then, my habit of buying decreases because I’m using my cash.  Eventually, I’m spending less.

I just got my credit card bill.  And what would I like to do today?  I will call BDO redemption center to claim my reward for paying not less than 37,000.00 monthly for so many years.   And I prefer that spa GC.

img_20140312_1024201

Go for financial freedom

And I know that I will enjoy my spa treat because I do not have to worry about my credit card anymore.  I don’t have any outstanding balance to pay BDO.  I am one debt-free person!

img_20140312_102253

Go for financial freedom

36 Comments

1. Wendy

37,000? Hehe wow! But yes, paying in cash effectively curbs my mindless spending too.

Effective indeed. So trash that plastic card na. Ehehe

2. Meg Villamarin-Mortega

I like the ask yourself what you want to do. We would like to be financial free as well and reading books/articles about financial freedom inspires me to pursue my plan. Being debt-free is one of the best ways to have financial freedom (based din sa mga nabasa ko na hehe)

3. Michelle

I only use credit card when doing groceries or when I have to buy an appliance for the house. Also for our grab or uber rides when we go out kasi we don’t have a car. Kahit paano, buti nadisiplina ko rin ang sarili ko to only swipe the card when spending for essential things. And I make sure I pay them right away. Hehe. Takot din kasi ako sa mga utang utang so ayoko magkaron ng mga interest or finance fee. Hehe

• momiberlin

That’s nice. Discipline lang talaga, ano?

4. Mommy Levy

CONGRATULATIONS!!! being debt free is a dream of a lot of people. Keep up the good work!

5. May Palacpac

Ah yes, I can’t wait to declare that we are finally debt free by December. OMG. We weren’t paying a big amount, but it was still a burden to carry for two years. Glad itwill soon be over.

It’s December now and hurray for debt free living. Ihihi

6. Liz A

Being debt-free is my goal as well. I have been paying all debts and started tracking my expenses as well. This year taught me to be more conscious on how I spend my money. I wanted to get back on track to gaining that financial freedom. We all do, I guess. 🙂

• momiberlin

Yes, we all do. And it’s up to us, I guess, when we want to end that debt and be financially free.

7. Maan

Congratulations! I used to have a prepaid card that works like a credit card but you have to “load” it before you can use it, so no debt. There’s only one proper credit card at home that only gets used when necessary. I believe credit cards should be treated as only transaction tools and not a splurge ticket! 😀

• momiberlin

Exactly. Love how you described it- transaction tool and not a splurge ticket. Ihihi.

8. Nerisa

We have the same philosophy when it comes to credit card – cashless transaction, not debt. So the moment I receive my statement it has to be paid in full. Para i dont have any worries.

9. Mommy Queenelizabeth

I’ve been into a credit card debt years back and it gave me headaches. Always with the question what do i have to do! Kase im a shopaholic and i got all credit cards from all leading banks. Until i gained knowledge about financial freedom and credit card debts. I cut all my cards and retained only one for travel purposes abroad. I always pay in cash now and it makes all the difference. Still challenged with shopping but i can control now (paminsan-minsan nalang!) Lol!

10. Neri Ann

Sana din financially debt na ko! Pero medyo malayo layong lakbayin pa. And true better throw that credit card! 🙂

• momiberlin

Itapon na talaga ang credit card. We will enjoy that financial freedom soonest!!! 🙂

11. Melisa Sanchez

Lemuel and I our goal this year ay mabayaran ang lahat ng utang namin. At makapag start na mag ipon. Ang hirap kasi mag ipon tapos may utang ka pang binabayaran parang di balance di ba? At talagang as long as we can hindi kami kukuha ng credit card. eheheh!

Yey! No to credit card talaga! That’s a nice goal. One at a time 🙂

12. Jhanis

Wow! That’s awesome! I’m still working on becoming debt free. That is my ultimate goal for 2017. 🙂

• momiberlin

Go for debt free 2017!!!!

13. jared's mum

Plastic money can really be quite a monster if we do not know how to handle it properly. I have been a victim of that from a few lifetimes ago and I am glad to say that I am no longer a slave to credit card and would mostly pay off items I buy in cash. Not that I have amassed a huge amount of money, but because I have grown wiser than splurging on things I do not really need.

Yes, we all ought to strive to be financial free. It is the next step to having a financially-secure life and future, not only for ourselves, but more so for our children.

14. Gracie

P37,000/monthly? wow! But hooray for being debt-free sis!
    We can use credit card pa rin naman para sa convenience and points 🙂

• momiberlin

Yes, convenience and points na lang. ihihi. Thanks

15. Joy

yey, debt-free. How I wish ako din. Hahaha! But congrats it’s really awesome to be debt-free! 🙂

• momiberlin

Yey! That was years ago. May bago na naman akong utang. Ehehe. But after this, I plan to really not use my credit card anymore.

16. Maria Teresa Figuerres

Congratulations, Mommy Berlin! I have a credit card, too, where we charge our groceries and our son’s tuition fees, but hubby makes sure he settles everything when payment’s due. But we aren’t totally debt-free; we’re still working on that.

• momiberlin

Thank you. Now, I totally cut my credit card and no more temptation for impulse buy. Groceries and tuition fees can really eat up a lot of our budget but they are necessities and good investments.

17. Louisa

I think that is one of the greatest feelings to be debt free. I still have just a bit more but I will feel true financial freedom when I have a hefty nest egg and life insurance.

• momiberlin

Having life insurance really makes one feel somehow confident. And yes, being debt free can be liberating.

18. Ma.Me.Mi.Mommy

It’s so tempting to swipe and swipe, noh? But, it’s a new year already, time to be mindful of our spending and save up. 🙂

• momiberlin

Yey! Right now, I do not have a card to swipe so I am claiming this 2017 would definitely be a debt free year 🙂

19. #gerifiedph

That’s a good financial goal, Mommy! I will also start my way of making myself debt-free while making my kids financially wise as well! Thanks for the inspo! 😀

20. Teresa Martinez

What a wonderful feeling to be debt-free. Congratulations for such an achievement during these financially stressful times.

• momiberlin

Thank you. The feeling of nothing to worry and no bills to pay is so stress free talaga 🙂

21. Mommy Anna

I am now in the process of being free from debt and like you I am not using credit card anymore

Submit a Comment